Virtual Work Experience Week
Virtual work experience course for students aged 15+
Expert Tip 1:
Expert Tip 2:
Complete Medical School Preparation
This course is a week-long online course covering all the preparation elements a student needs when applying to medical school. Our Mentors take students through everything they need to build a successful medical school application. Experience, Insight, Entrance Exams, Interviews, Personal Statements and much more – All covered.
A central part of this course is the use of our GP Live studio, where students will get involved in taking actual patient histories with live tele-medicine technology. A full immersive work experience where students become the Doctors and experience real medical cases.
This course has been developed from our Award-winning residential course and adapted to be online which means students all over the world can gain all the experience, advice and preparation they need in a one-week virtual course.
Gain the experience & insight you need
Taught by NHS Doctors
Spend a full week with our NHS Doctors, learning from them and talking to them about their experiences. Time and space with dedicated Doctors who want to help you gain that place at medical school.
Fully live and interactive week where you will speak directly to patients, Doctors and medical students. No pre-recorded videos here!
Experience & Insight
Medical schools want to see you can demonstrate experience and insight. We will teach you how to reflect on your experiences to impress the toughest admissions tutors.
Our days all begin at 10am and will finish between 3pm and 4pm (UK time) – Monday to Friday. Please check the course start dates below.
• Introduction to the Medical Projects Virtual Course Week
• Patient history taking Live from our teaching studio
• LIVE GP Example scenarios from our GP set
• PBL topic introduction and explanation
• How to reflect correctly and how to utilise your reflections
• Hands-on Suturing Clinical Skills Session – Live demonstration and practical using your own equipment posted in advance of the session
• Selecting a Medical School discussion
• Reading and interpreting X-rays
• Medical School Interviews – advice and insight
• How to reflect correctly and how to utilise your reflections
• Life as a Medical Student insight webinar with current UK Medical Students
• Life and Pathway of a Doctor webinar with our NHS Doctor
• Multiple Student-led LIVE GP Scenarios where students use their skills they’ve learnt so far to take a history and lead the assessment of the patient
• PBL Check in to ensure everyone is happy with their intended learning outcomes
• How to take a Mental State Examination, their importance and why we perform an examination like this
• Taking care of your own Mental Health and why this is important
• Introduction to Entrance Examinations including the UCAT and BMAT
• Personal Statements overview – how to structure your personal statement and what universities are looking for
• Medicine quiz – a fun, general knowledge medicine quiz
• PBL presentations – presenting your selected ILO to other students and teaching them your topic
• Wide variety of LIVE GP scenarios where students lead the assessment and use all of their knowledge from the week to diagnose each patient with their groups
Online Learning – The Present Future.
2020/21 has accelerated online learning and we are making sure that we are at the forefront of medical education for our students. We have brought many of the elements from our award-winning residential course and adapted it for online learning, whilst retaining the same high quality learning. The GP Live studio we have built for our students uses the same technology as current tele-medicine platforms.
We believe this actually a higher quality experience than shadowing in a traditional GP setting. Students can actually converse directly with our patients, Doctors and Mentors have time to discuss and explain each case in detail. By learning specific frameworks and implementing them, we believe students gain much more insight and engagement levels are boosted compared to traditional shadowing where students can only observe and have limited teaching time with busy Doctors.
Book your space today
We limit the number of spaces on this course to 21 to ensure we have a very high level of engagement and interaction. Spaces do fill up quickly so early booking is required.
Virtual Work Experience Week Dates and Fees
Course fee – £595
– 5th Apr to 9 Apr 2021***FULL***
– 5th Jul to 9 Jul 2021***FULL***
– 26th Jul to 30th Jul 2021***FULL***
– 16th Aug to 20th Aug 2021***FULL***
What our students think…
– Annie (student)
– John (Parent)
– Josie (Parent)
Read more reviews
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens after I book?
1. You will receive an email confirming your booking.
2. One week before your start date we will email you additional worksheets that you will need for the course.
3. Three days before your course start date, we will email you the link and joining instructions.
4. Log in to the online platform around 10 minutes before the start time.
5. Our Doctors will take it from here, enjoy the course!
6. We will send out a certificate of completion for your portfolio.
Are they real patients?
All the medical cases are real conditions, and the observations and examination results students are given are medically accurate. Our patient cases are delivered by medical actors who are prepped with an extensive medical history and will be able to answer any questions you have.
How does it work online?
We have built a GP Surgery within a TV studio so you join us via our online platform. You will be on-screen so the Doctor and patients can see and hear you in real time. You will be able to interact with everyone directly from your computer at home. You will need a working video and microphone on your computer or laptop.
Do I need to do anything to prepare for the course?
No, you don’t need to learn or revise anything in advance, everything you need to know to take part in the week is included in the teaching sessions.
What’s the difference between this course and GP Live?
If you are looking for a single days work experience where you can interact with patients and learn from our Doctors – then the GP Live course is for your. If you are looking for 3 days on work experience as well as comprehensive application advice & guidance then the Virtual Work Experience Week is for you.